Sunday, November 13, 2011

A Good Story

Everyone has a story to tell. We all spend our lives telling them. We talk about this and that, about people and things.  Some you will always remember, while others you forget. Some are so good, you never want them to end. Sometimes a story may bring you to laughter or even tears. What makes a good story? One that makes you feel.

Like most people, I have plenty of stories to share. Many have heard some, while others aren't as privileged. I will give you a snippet of a conversation I had with a patient this morning. You tell me how you think the story goes....

Me: How do you feel?
Patient: *smirk on face* I feel with my fingers.
Me: What a coincidence! Me too!!

A couple of sentences are exchanged laughing about his response.

Me: What about pain... are you having any chest pains?
Patient: Oh, no, I haven't had any of that while I've been here. Just some lower back pain.
Me: **thought bubble: His admission diagnosis is chest pain?! WTH?!?**

Does this look provocative?!?
This patient is sitting on the side of the bed, talking with his roommate, to whom I am also caring for. They have some stuff in common and are very excited over this. His roommate is currently experiencing hypertension. I just gave additional blood pressure medications per a verbal order.

Me: Would you like me to help move your IV pole to the other side so you don't have to hold the IV tubing?
Patient: Nah. But you could pole dance for me.

How do you think the rest of the story goes??

Once, I had a patient tell me that I shouldn't bother caring for her. I was born a redhead and that meant I was the devil's child. Being a nurse and doing good for people would not help me get into heaven.

Wow! That definitely left me speechless for a minute. And while compassionate caring is my job, so is customer service. I am not allowed to say anything rude or there are consequences. I went about my business and just told myself she was an old, sick lady and I should not take it to heart. To this day, I still chuckle over it. Some people have guts! And if you are thinking what I'm thinking.... yes, I am envious they have those guts. I'm missing some over here....

I can tell you stories about my experiences as a patient at the hospital I currently work for. Some good, some bad. I can share stories about the fears I had, the tests that were done, the drug-induced proposing I did... Being a patient at this hospital over the last 11 years has definitely exposed me to the patient world.

And those stories are the reason why I am an RN today.

And while this career is challenging, and very often exhausting, I feel I am a great RN. I have so much compassion for patients that I end up in tears most nights. Hang on, that could also be the midnight schedule talking for me. Nah, I really do care. Sometimes I care too much. And to think, they aren't even related to me!! Can you imagine how I would treat you if you were my patient?

The previously mentioned patient who asked me to pole dance for him also asked me a serious question during my shift. He asked me how long I have been a nurse. How I answer this question is extremely important.  I'm always cautious as I don't want them to think I'm incompetent because I'm new to the field. To me, it's an advantage to have a newer RN care for you. We go out of our way to make sure everything is done and you are in the best health possible. Our education is still fresh and we don't want to mess up. We aren't afraid to ask for a second opinion or call the physician when we deem necessary.
Rescue Ninja!
In the case of this patient, I asked him to guess. His response made me smile and gave me a confidence boost. At that point, I decided not to actually tell him. His words will forever stick with me and I wanted him to believe what he thought.

Because from time to time, us nurses don't hear how Awesome we truly are often enough.

I wish I could tell my story to all of my patients. Explain to them that I do understand what they are feeling and tell them I know how frustrating and anxious the whole hospital experience is. If it's going to create a better relationship with my patient, why not?!

I have only shared my story once. Why just once? Well, besides the fact that there are time restraints and I have multiple patients with multiple issues and I love to talk... I haven't felt the need to explain. They need to worry about getting better and I don't need their sympathy. Deep down I just want them to know I actually understand their side of the medical experience. (I also don't feel every patient would take it that way.) So instead, I keep it at the front of my mind to help remind me that I have had bad care and don't want them to experience that. I want to show them what an Awesome RN is like, and although they may not always think I'm Awesome, I sure do give 110% every shift.

I look forward to the many crazy/fun/memorable/emotional stories that my career will give me. I know there will be plenty more. And those patient experiences can make one hell of a story. I'm waiting for them...

Do you have a story to share??

No comments:

Post a Comment