Monday, December 19, 2011

Anniversary

I was in bed yesterday, about to fall asleep and end the busy weekend when it hit me. I can't believe I forgot about it. One of the biggest, life changing days of my life, and I just forgot about it.

I'm not alone though. My family, husband, and friends (although, why would they have that date memorized?) forgot too.

Yesterday marked my 5 year anniversary. 5 YEARS!

What anniversary, you ask? The anniversary of the day that my life and body changed forever. The day that I woke up from a sigmoidoscopy and knew something wasn't right. The feeling of impending doom overtook me and I told my mom, "something isn't right, get the doctor." The nurses told me it was just gas and everything will be ok. I told them to get the doctor to me or I will start screaming.... that is how serious I was and how I knew something was wrong. I don't go throwing fits in hospitals, I was an adult.

Needless to say, I was right. I needed emergency surgery or I would die.

5 years ago yesterday was the day that I "woke up with" a colostomy and my life changed forever. I spent MONTHS in the hospital recuperating because I was septic. I had tubes down my nose into my stomach, tubes in my throat, oxygen, multiple IVs, the works. 5 years ago, I celebrated Christmas in the hospital. And while I cannot remember anything from the time the doctor told me I needed surgery until Christmas Eve, I will never forget anything that I experienced.

Generally, on December 18th, I take some time to reflect, have a small pity party, be thankful I'm still alive and realize that I am lucky to be where I am today. My parents were troopers for staying with me around the clock and I appreciate all that they had done for me during that time. My now husband and I had just started dating and he was even there for me every day after work.

Yet, this weekend was so busy with my sister's graduation, family being in town and errands that my very important anniversary (to me anyway) had been forgotten until 11:50pm last night. It makes me sad that I was unable to really reflect upon that day. It was a huge day in the history books for me and I like to acknowledge it. However, if I completely forgot about it all, then maybe my day was a good one? Either way, it has come and gone and I now sit here blogging about it.

I know there are other more important days to "celebrate" or have anniversaries over. But hey, if you didn't live it, you just don't know. And even though I no longer have this colostomy, (I now have a permanent ileostomy) I still think of December 18th as a day to remember. I experienced challenges and overcame them.

I usually don't pray all that often. I believe God has it out for me and I can't catch a break health wise. It's been almost 12 years since I've gone a whole year without complications. However, on December 18th, I generally pray and say thanks to Him for keeping me on this planet.

I am a good person, and while I don't agree with everything I've had to deal with, I am very thankful to be here to experience what life has to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment